An incredible cake that blends parsnips and lemon together for a sweet spiciness. It’s a delicious and unique cake that you’ll love from first slice to last.
- 375g peeled, grated parsnip
- 1 lemon
- 350g golden caster sugar
- 250g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 250ml sunflower oil
- 4 eggs
- Inside of a vanilla pod, or 1 tsp pure vanilla essence
- Take two 9” straight sided shallow cake pans, put in two wide bands of foil, criss-cross. Butter and flour the interiors including the foil. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, 180ºC (350ºF).
- Mix the parsnips zest and squeeze the lemon into a bowl. Blend/beat together with an electric whisk. Add the next 6 ingredients in a separate bowl. When smooth, add eggs one by one, then add the parsnip, lemon and vanilla gradually to taste.
- Divide mixture between pans. Bake for 15 minutes, check and switch the pans round for even cooking. The cakes are done when they spring back lightly if touched. The cake can take up to 40 minutes. Remove from oven, leave a few minutes, then ease out onto a rack with the aid of the foil bands. Leave to cool.
- For filling, mix cream cheese and butter together, add sugar, then essence of lemon juice to taste. Use filling to sandwich cakes together.